A collaborative, detail-oriented writer and editor with years of experience producing engaging narratives on deadline across a range of topics as well as managing, editing, and promoting content on deadline across platforms. Skilled with crafting and refining stories with a sharp eye for clarity, accuracy and tone with a proven track record of communicating ideas and information to a wide audience.
Chris Barton, LLC Oct. 07 – Present Freelance Writer
Contributed interviews and reviews to various media outlets including the Magnet, Downbeat and the L.A. Times.
Los Angeles Times Los Angeles, CA Senior Writer Aug. 12 – May 19
- Led coverage of business and cultural topics of national interest with stories ranging from breaking news blog items to long-form interviews and analysis in a fast-paced environment. Distilled complex concepts into clean copy with a clear, conversational voice.
- Collaborated with content teams to shape, expand, and distribute coverage of high-interest events across platforms, incorporating editorial feedback while offering eye-catching headlines and design direction. Delivered increased site visit lengths year-over-year.
- Steered the cultural conversation as critic, placing key issues and figures into broader context to inform a general audience. Created and wrote the column Overrated/Underrated, a weekly feature that drew a dedicated audience with voice-driven commentary.
- Contributed to coverage efforts on social media as well as various appearances on public television, radio and podcasts, offering timely commentary while promoting editorial features. Moderated audience Q&As and live interviews at events and screenings.
Deputy Editor, Editor April 07 –June 16
- Led digital coverage as deputy editor, organizing and executing publication plans around breaking news and planned events while working to increase audience engagement through sharp headlines, SEO strategies and social media.
- Conducted regular meetings with stakeholders from editorial, design and marketing to find innovative ways to present content and provide the best user experience. Collaborated with production teams to design and distribute stories across digital platforms.
- Acted as section editor, assigning and refining stories for publication across multiple platforms while managing a diverse team of writers through daily and weekly deadlines for breaking news and planned events. Achieved results that exceeded traffic goals.
- Worked with development teams through production of a redesign of the L.A. Times’ local entertainment product. Helped test, debug and satisfy use cases for the site and its CMS. Crafted external messaging and user documentation around new digital tools.
- Supervised and trained a team of writer/producers while serving as point of contact with technology teams for production issues. Developed and maintained a weekly editorial calendar while curating stories for promotion across section fronts.
Senior Content Producer April 00 – July 07
- Managed and maintained multiple high-traffic topic areas for the website and its listings database, repurposing print content for a digital audience with eye-catching photos, display copy and landing page design to establish the site as a comprehensive resource.
- Produced newsletters, galleries and other supplemental content to enhance user experience and increase engagement.
Scour, Inc. Beverly Hills, CA Content Writer Sept. 99 – Feb 00
- Created voice-driven feature stories on public domain entertainment content for the pop culture portal start-up, Scour.com.
- Collaborated with marketing and engineering teams to craft end user documentation and promotional copy for new products.
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation Los Altos, CA
Production Editor June 95 – July 99
- Assisted with production of the triannual social science research journal The Future of Children. Responsible for page layout, photo acquisition and querying editors for clarification of material aimed toward an audience of policy influencers.
SAN JOSE STATE UNIVERSITY San Jose, CA Bachelor of Arts, Political Science
- Graduated cum laude with a concentration in public policy; minor in technical writing and communication.
SKILLS AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Experienced with managing and producing content on multiple content management systems, as well as Adobe Creative Suite, Slack and social media. Completed Udemy coursework in copywriting and UX writing.